AGRICOLA INDUSTRIAL LA LYDIA, S.A. started growing pineapple in 2005 cultivating the new hybrid 73-114, known as Golden Pineapple or MD2.
At present we have planted 550 hectares and have ample room for expansion. Our process is environmentally friendly and we are developing a project with organic pineapple.
To ensure the quality of our product our packing plant operates under the most strict safety and quality standards, such as Global Gap.
We market our own brand YAZ
We produce and pack fruit in various sizes (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) in a 12 kgrs. box, in addition we also work crownless pineapple in sizes 5, 6, 7 and 8 packed in 14 kgrs. box. The pallets contain from 70 to 75 boxes depending size and destination.
Tropical pineapple belongs to the family of bromeliads, order of bromeliae. The species is known as Ananas comosus. Bromilaciae is the common name for a family of flowers that show scaled leaves able to retain water and three-piece flowers. The leaves are set in layered spiral. The embryo of the plant has one single leaf or cotyledon. The family with more than 2,000 species and 46 genders. This plant grows almost exclusively in tropical and subtropical regions of America.
It originated in tropical and subtropical regions of South America but now it is widely grown in all tropical regions for the sweet and juicy fruit it produces.
The pineapple plant is a base plant, can grow up to 3 feet high with short stalks, overlapping wide leaf stalks which cuddle water at the base of the plant.
The pineapple plantation thrives in altitudes ranging from 300 to 2000 feet above sea level, even though some experiments at sea level have been successful.
The pineapple plant grows well in temperatures ranging between 68 F and 86 F although 77 F to 81 F is optimal.
Annual rainfall between 600 and 800 inches is necessary to ensure healthy growth of the plant and during the dry season water spraying might be required to maintain adequate growth. On the other hand, excessive rainfall will require adequate drainage practices.
The best soil conditions for pineapple growing are light texture, well drained and pH between 4.5 and 6.0.
- The pineapple contains micronutrients that protect us against cancer, in addition to dissolving blood clots that could form, being beneficial for the heart.
- The pineapple has diuretic properties, contains chemicals that stimulate the kidneys and help remove toxic elements from the body.
- The pineapple juice combats and removes parasites from the intestines, and relief intestinal disorders and
- The Pineapple has anti-inflammatory, contains a mixture of enzymes called Bromelain. Bromelain blocks the production of Kinins, which are formed when there is inflammation. Studies have shown that the blockade produced by Bromelain in pineapple, helps reduce inflammation caused by arthritis, gout, sore throat and acute sinusitis.
- Similarly, the pineapple also helps accelerate the healing of the wounds from injuries or surgeries.
- Pineapple contains:
- Vitamins: Vitamin C, B1, B6, B9 (folic acid) and some Energy.
- Minerals: Potassium, Magnesium, Iodine, Copper, Manganese
- Citric acid, malic acid, oxalic acid, enzyme bromelain.